Sunday, January 10, 2010

Spies on the run and route map of 2010 NB 30KM


I collected the running bibs for the New Balance 30km 2010 on Saturday. This time BP and I got interesting running numbers. I got the James Bond's number and BP is Agent 008. It is an ong number also since it is number 8.

We registered quite early when the race was scheduled in Putrajaya. Then it was moved to Padanag Merbok. Bad news for most runners as the running routes around that area are mostly hilly. See the elevation view of the NB 30km route below from MapMyRun.com.

Elevation view of the 2010 NB 30KM route. (click for better view)

See the route map here.

2010 NB 30km route map (click for larger view).

I did a long run today. This was to train for the race on 17 Jan. I ran from Bukit Aman to Solaris Mont Kiara and then to Petronas Sri Hartamas and then return the same way. Mostly overlap with the race course. The total distance was about 26km (according to my Suunto GPS). I did it with the time about 2:27:58. Hopefully this is good enough training to prepare for the hilly course (so that I will suffer less).

This morning I saw so many runners running the usual Bukit Aman - Petronas Sri Hartamas route. I met so many runner friends during my run. I think everyone was preparing for the race next Sunday or for the Putrajaya Night Marathon (that I confirmed not running because of a wedding dinner and lack of training). The morning sun was already shining brightly and hot at about 8:00am. This will be another challenge come race day. So, fellow runners please be prepared.

8 comments:

Cornelius said...

Oh my lord! I'm gonna suffer on those hills! That climb between KM7 to KM10.5 will be the most punishing. I'll probably be reduced to walking on that slope for sure!

Any info on water stations? How many, how far apart etc?

blaze said...

Cornelius,

The slope from km7 to km10.5 is tough if you haven't train this route before. However it is not one long stretch of continuous uphill slope. But a gradual climb from Bukit Tunku to Plaza Damas/Hartamas Shopping Complex in Sri Hartamas. Then it is downhill in the housing area and turn back near Petronas station on Jalan Sri Hartamas 1.

I will be more worry for the part of km18 to km20. That's the famous Double Hills route near Bukit Tunku and is very tough to climb at that stage of the race. A long.... steep climb.

You may want to strategise to save energy for the climbs. Water stations will be 5km apart.

Cornelius said...

blaze,

I have ZERO hill training coming into this race, and I feel that I'm exceptionally weak on the slopes. But I have to start running slopes sooner or later!

This wasn't even in my plan a few weeks ago, but because I wanted to make my trip to KL worthwhile, I decided to run this race. As my friend said to me (and I agree with him), this race is not about setting record for me. I'm gonna run and hopefully finish within the time limit and take home a finisher medal. Anything better than that will be a bonus!

Thanks for the tips on the hills. I'll bear in mind that double hill you speak of. Safe for injuries, I'm determined to finish this race. This will be my very first 30km on the slopes.

blaze said...

Cornelius,

Good to know you are managing your own expectation on your first hilly 30km race.

I'm sure you will gain (through the pain) from this race. As a runner, the hills are there for us to conquer.

Just another note here, the downhill slope puts more pressure on the knees and heels. So if you have previous injury on the knees and heels, you may want to take it easy on the downhill slope, although it is tempting place for you to pick up speed and gain some time.

See you this weekend.

kkchai said...

Corny,
Compared to one run I did in Hua Hin last year, our "double hills" is lame. The hill there is so steep that one can't even walk downhill without having to risk tipping over, never mind about running up! For the sake of experience I suggest you give this race a go, a good place to go for a holiday too.

Cornelius said...

Oh! of course, blaze, there is that temptation to pick up speed going downhill. But I intend to keep running for as long as I can, so I'll not risk permanent injury on my knees and ankles. Once I start to feel pain, I'll automatically slow down (that's basically what happened in Singapore in December, though I did continue walking for the most part to the finish line), that's for sure! I won't push all the way and then end up retiring from running after that one race!

Cornelius said...

kkchai,

I'm trying to gradually improve on my running and now expanding my horizons to explore new running events - I mean "new" to me. But since there are so many interesting races in many interesting places, obviously it will take a while to experience them all, if ever. But let me try this so-called double hill first, before even thinking about trying the kind of hill your described! I'm not all out to break my legs, you know!... HAHAHA!

Cornelius said...

A friend who'll also be running in the 30k race this Sunday brought up an interesting point. The water stations are 5km apart and can be dangerous for runners like me who sweat a lot and need to rehydrate frequently.

I suppose 5km interval is still OK, since I usually pace my "pit stops" around that distance during training anyway. It did not occur to me that these water stations will be running out of drinks for the slower runners, but of course in last year's KL marathon, that was apparently what happened towards the last few kms.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they won't be running out of drinks by the time I get to the water stations, because I will be among those who are in the slow group. My aim is just to finish within the time limit, and I doubt that I have it in me to run fast on the slopes for the sake of the drinks!