Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Cross-trainings

Besides running, I am also doing some cross-trainings.

One of them is spinning. Spinning is an indoor stationary bicycle group exercise. It is conducted by a spinning instructor. In this group exercise, the instructor will use different music tracks (with different beats) to couple with different cycling postures and speed. It is very good for building stamina and endurance. It strengthens the knees and the leg muscles. Quite good work-out for the body parts that involved running.

The other being Yoga. I picked up Yoga last year. It is a good relaxation exercise. Basically you need to be calm and mindful of your breathing to be able to train your body to perform the Yoga postures. A lot of postures actually helps to strengthen muscles around the back, shoulders, calf, hip, etc. Little did I realise, Yoga actually helped to improve my upper body strength (e.g.Cobra posture etc.). This is quite important in running as we swing our arms throughout the race. The arms can get tired as fast as the legs. The other part of Yoga actually improve my mental aspect, helping me to focus and be calm.

Here is a pie chart showing how much time I spend on running, spinning and Yoga. Too bad I can't swim. Swimming is a good exercise for runners as well.

No comments: